Participation in the Autodesk App Store BIM 360 Hackathon is governed by the Autodesk App Store Hackathon Official Rules, which you can read here.
1. What is the Autodesk App Store BIM 360 Hackathon?
The Autodesk® App Store BIM 360® Hackathon (hereinafter referred to as “the Hackathon”) is an online event which consists of two sections: (1) a series of web training sessions and (2) an online hackathon where developers can develop new apps and services integrating with Autodesk BIM 360 for submission to the Autodesk App Store. The Hackathon will run from August 1st, 2017 to October 31st 2017. For all such new apps submitted to the Autodesk App Store by midnight on September 30th, 2017 and accepted for publication in the store by October 31st, 2017, each entrant of the Hackathon will receive US$ 500 for one eligible app per entrant.
2. Why is Autodesk hosting the Hackathon?
Many developers have ideas for apps they would like to submit to the Autodesk App Store, but due to other time commitments do not take the steps to develop or finish and submit their apps. We know there’s also a lot of basic learning too. This event is designed to deliver to you the support you need — as well as a financial incentive — to motivate you to learn the APIs and publish your first app for Autodesk BIM 360 in the upcoming BIM 360 store in the Autodesk App Store. It will make taking action to publish apps simple and feasible.
3. Is there a fee to participate in the Hackathon?
No, there is no fee or cost for registration and participation.
4. Is this Hackathon only for apps that integrate with the Autodesk BIM 360?
Yes, this Hackathon is specific to apps which integrate with BIM 360 using the Autodesk Forge APIs.
5. Which parts of BIM 360 can I integrate with?
Autodesk Forge currently provides access to BIM 360 HQ, BIM 360 Docs and BIM 360 Team. Although Forge API support will be extended soon to cover more components of BIM 360, this hackathon will cover integrations with BIM 360 HQ, BIM 360 Docs and BIM 360 Team only. (BIM 360 Glue and BIM 360 Field are not included).
6. What happens during the Hackathon?
This Hackathon is series of smaller events spread out over a couple of weeks. It is designed to help you get your first app integrated with BIM 360 and published, quickly and efficiently. There will be some training events to help familiarize you with the Forge APIs that integrate with BIM 360. There will be dedicated staff ready to answer your questions and to give you a helping hand developing your app(s). The event will include live sessions, and if needed, private one-on-one meetings with our specialists. You’ll meet other developers and learn from their questions too. Whether you have an app in mind or not, and even if you complete your apps after the Hackathon, this is a great event to learn how to easily develop and publish your first app. You’ll get to know BIM 360 better too!
7. What is the incentive/reward to participate in the Hackathon?
For all new apps integrated with BIM 360 submitted to the Autodesk App Store by the Deadline (midnight on September 30th, 2017) and accepted for publication in the store by midnight on October 31st, 2017, each entrant will receive US$ 500 for one eligible app per entrant.
8. How many apps can an entrant submit?
To receive US$500 per app there is a limit of one eligible app per entrant (Max US $500 total). An entrant may submit more than one app but the reward will be limited to one app. If you have more than one great idea for an app, find a friend (or two) to work with you so each of you can get US$500!
9. How do I get paid?
Autodesk has designated a third party payment processor. Payment will be made to your PayPal email address. A PayPal email address is required for participation in this event.
10. I already have apps published in the Autodesk App Store – do they qualify for the reward?
No. The reward is only available for new apps submitted and accepted for publication during the Hackathon. Existing Publishers may however submit new, unique apps as long as they meet the requirements of this Hackathon.
11. Do I need to register for the event?
Registration is required. Please click the registration link on the top right of the main page to register. Registration will also help you receive important communications and get the help you may need to build your apps.
12. Am I eligible for the reward if I submit my app after September 30th, 2017?
No. Apps must be submitted on or before September 30th, 2017.
13. Where might the reward not be applicable?
Apps must be “unique”. Where multiple variants of the same app are submitted, we will consider the submission as only one app. Some examples of the one app rule include, but not limited to:
- An app that has both a Trial version and a Paid version
- An app in more than one language
- An app that is a variation or enhancement of an app already published on the Autodesk App store.
14. What are the criteria for the apps for submission and acceptance?
Publishers must submit their apps during the Hackathon and the submitted apps must meet the following criteria:
- Your app should be submitted electronically to the Autodesk Site by the Submission Deadline. For the submission process for browser based Apps, refer to this page and for desktop based Apps refer to this page. The submitted apps will be tested by Autodesk and entrants are allowed to make further changes to their submitted apps during the Testing Period;
- Your app should integrate with BIM 360 using the Autodesk Forge APIs.
- Your app should meet the Autodesk App Store Product Guidelines
- Your app should add additional value to users (Autodesk will be the final authority to judge whether an app is adding value or not to the users);
- Your app should work immediately;
- Your app should pass the testing during the Testing Period and be accepted for publication in the Autodesk App store by the Publication Deadline.
- All apps should meet the full requirements posted at www.autodesk.com/developapps
15. What if my app doesn’t get published by October 31st, 2017?
You will not receive the reward for your app if your app does not get published in Autodesk App Store by October 31st, 2017. However, we will continue to test and process your app so that it can be published at a later date.